home  news  study zone  career advice  pq awards  free mag  advertise  contact  nq mag
PQ magazine is for part qualified accountants.

Read the latest web issue here – if you like what you see sign up today

Latest News



Thousands of scam texts halted

25 January 2018

HMRC says it has stopped thousands of taxpayers receiving scam text messages.

During ‘Take Five to Stop Fraud Week’ the revenue says 90% of the most convincing texts are now halted before they reach our phones (that still leaves 10%!).

HMRC began a pilot in April 2017 to combat these messages. The new technology identifies fraud texts with ‘tags’ that suggest it’s from HMRC and stops them from being delivered.

The initiative has helped reduce reports of these scams from over 5,000 in March 2017, before the new programme was introduced, to less than 1,000 in December 2017.

At the same time HMRC has also initiated the removal of 16,000 malicious websites and stopped customers receiving over 300m emails purporting to come from the tax authority.

[«all news]
preload preload preload preload
Subscribe to RSS